Skip to main content

Will window.close work only work if the window shares a domain with the window trying to close it?

I'm trying to understand when window.close() will / won't work. I know there are some requirements around the window being script closeable etc., but it seems like there are some additional requirements that I can't find formally laid out (at least, not laid out in terms I can't understand with my current javascript knowledge.)

At a high level, my use case is as follows:

  • a user clicks a button
  • I do some stuff and then do something like windowRef = window.open("http://example.com/somedocument.pdf","popup").
  • Once the user takes clicks a different button, I want to be able to call windowRef.close() and have it close the pdf I opened in a popup.

My current implementation works as long as the url I'm opening shares a domain with the window that's trying to close it, and not otherwise. That's fine (I can guarantee the PDF will come from the same domain as the window trying to close it) but I'd like to understand why this doesn't work for URLs with different domains (and if there are other cases where it won't work that I haven't run into yet).

Based on some experimenting in my application / the browser console, it seems like window.close() will work if the url I'm opening shares a domain with the window I'm trying to close it from, but not otherwise. That's purely based on testing / guessing though, I haven't found documentation explaining why this might be the case.

I've read the MDN documentation for window.close, but I can't seem to find it documented when exactly this function will work, and when it will just return "undefined" (but not log an error like "Scripts may not close windows that were not opened by script.)

I thought this might have to do with the Same-origin policy, but that article calls out window.close() as not having the same-origin requirement, and some tests I ran seem to confirm this.

Can someone explain to me what needs to be true for me to be confident that, if I'm opening a pdf in a popup window using window.open() to send a window to a URL to the pdf, I can later close that popup with window.close()

Via Active questions tagged javascript - Stack Overflow https://ift.tt/VZvXegw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prop `className` did not match in next js app

I have written a sample code ( Github Link here ). this is a simple next js app, but giving me error when I refresh the page. This seems to be the common problem and I tried the fix provided in the internet but does not seem to fix my issue. The error is Warning: Prop className did not match. Server: "MuiBox-root MuiBox-root-1" Client: "MuiBox-root MuiBox-root-2". Did changes for _document.js, modified _app.js as mentioned in official website and solutions in stackoverflow. but nothing seems to work. Could someone take a look and help me whats wrong with the code? Via Active questions tagged javascript - Stack Overflow https://ift.tt/2FdjaAW

How to show number of registered users in Laravel based on usertype?

i'm trying to display data from the database in the admin dashboard i used this: <?php use Illuminate\Support\Facades\DB; $users = DB::table('users')->count(); echo $users; ?> and i have successfully get the correct data from the database but what if i want to display a specific data for example in this user table there is "usertype" that specify if the user is normal user or admin i want to user the same code above but to display a specific usertype i tried this: <?php use Illuminate\Support\Facades\DB; $users = DB::table('users')->count()->WHERE usertype =admin; echo $users; ?> but it didn't work, what am i doing wrong? source https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68199726/how-to-show-number-of-registered-users-in-laravel-based-on-usertype

Why is my reports service not connecting?

I am trying to pull some data from a Postgres database using Node.js and node-postures but I can't figure out why my service isn't connecting. my routes/index.js file: const express = require('express'); const router = express.Router(); const ordersCountController = require('../controllers/ordersCountController'); const ordersController = require('../controllers/ordersController'); const weeklyReportsController = require('../controllers/weeklyReportsController'); router.get('/orders_count', ordersCountController); router.get('/orders', ordersController); router.get('/weekly_reports', weeklyReportsController); module.exports = router; My controllers/weeklyReportsController.js file: const weeklyReportsService = require('../services/weeklyReportsService'); const weeklyReportsController = async (req, res) => { try { const data = await weeklyReportsService; res.json({data}) console